Administration guru Peter Drucker famously stated, “You may’t handle what you don’t measure.” That’s true for practically every part—together with your compressed air system. Information logging may help you measure—and handle—compressed air system efficiency. By understanding how and when your compressed air system is utilizing vitality, you may uncover alternatives for vitality financial savings and optimization.
What’s Information Logging for Compressed Air Methods?
What’s information logging? Very merely, it’s the apply of measuring system efficiency by attaching meters, gauges, or sensors to a system for an prolonged time whereas it’s in operation. In contrast to spot checks, comparable to a single meter learn or strain gauge learn, information logging permits us to see how the system responds to real-time occasions and circumstances over time. This allows us to seek out tendencies and correlate system efficiency to potential causes and drivers.
For a compressed air system, information loggers can be utilized to measure many facets of system efficiency, together with:
- Moisture Dew Level
Sometimes, a knowledge logging system—comparable to a strain gauge or amp meter—is hooked up to the system for one to 2 weeks. That is sufficient time to collect info throughout a number of shifts and begin to search for tendencies within the information. The info logger might question the system and report a measurement as usually as each few seconds to measure system efficiency second by second. The info is then fed into software program that may flip it into charts exhibiting how the system behaves over time.
Information logging offers engineers visibility into completely different facets of system efficiency to reply crucial questions comparable to: How environment friendly is your compressed air system? The place are the most important alternatives for vitality financial savings and enhancements? How do completely different manufacturing eventualities impression the efficiency of your air compressor? What’s the carbon footprint of your system?
What Can Amp Meter Information Logging Inform Us About Compressed Air System Efficiency?
Fluid-Aire Dynamics makes use of a quite simple technique of knowledge logging for compressed air techniques: the amp meter. This entails attaching an amp meter to system controls for the air compressor. The meter information amperage each 5 seconds.
Evaluation of compressed air system amperage over a 6-day interval.
Merely amperage can inform us quite a bit about air compressor efficiency. The amp meter tells us whether or not the compressor is off or on (loaded or unloaded) and the way a lot vitality it’s utilizing. this over time, and correlating system efficiency to occasions comparable to shift begin/finish and break instances, can permit us to reply vital questions comparable to:
- What’s the common responsibility cycle of the compressor (how usually does it cycle on and off)?
- How a lot time does it spend loaded (making compressed air) vs. unloaded (idle)?
- When does peak utilization happen over the course of a shift, day or week?
- At what instances is the system principally idle?
- How a lot variability is there in compressed air consumption over a shift, day, or week?
- How a lot vitality is consumed during times of peak utilization?
- How a lot vitality is consumed during times of minimal utilization?
these questions will permit us to derive solutions to extra complicated questions, comparable to:
- What are the vitality prices related to producing compressed air for the power?
- How a lot air is being wasted?
- Are there instances when the compressor is making extra air than my manufacturing processes can use?
- Is the compressor appropriately calibrated for my compressed air wants?
- Is the compressor liable to injury as a consequence of short-cycling (brought on by under-utilization) or extreme drawdown (an indication that it can’t sustain with demand)?
- Do utilization patterns during times of no demand (e.g., when manufacturing processes are stopped) recommend important leakage within the compressed air system?
- What’s the carbon footprint for the system?
Aire Tip: Amperage information logging is adequate for compressed air system optimization for the overwhelming majority of customers.
When Do You Want a Full Engineering Audit for Your Compressed Air System?
We discover that 99% of the time, easy amperage information logging gives producers with the knowledge they should make system enhancements. This technique of knowledge logging is affordable, straightforward and non-invasive—it merely entails clamping the amp meter onto the compressor controls within the management room. The system doesn’t should be shut down at any time. Fluid-Aire Dynamics performs this service free of charge.
In some circumstances, it might make sense to carry out a whole compressed air system audit. Engineering corporations sometimes cost $10k or extra for a full system audit—or way more for very giant, complicated compressed air techniques. Throughout this analysis, they’ll set up a number of varieties of information loggers at completely different factors within the system. Along with amperage, they’ll sometimes log strain measurements at varied places all through the power. This can be a way more time-consuming and invasive course of; components of the system might must be shut down quickly to put in some varieties of knowledge logging tools.
A full examine will present extra info that could be useful in conditions the place further diagnostics are wanted. For instance, in case you are making an attempt to diagnose a strain drop drawback in a big, complicated system, having strain information at a number of factors in your compressed air system could also be useful.
Nevertheless, easy amperage information logging is all the time a very good place to begin. The knowledge from this train might grow to be all you want. It could additionally present vital clues that may allow you to carry out extra focused further investigations.
Aire Tip: A full engineering audit might present extra detailed info for the analysis of complicated compressed air system issues.
The right way to Use Information Logging for Compressed Air System Optimization
Info from information logging is used to find tendencies in system efficiency and discover alternatives for system optimization. These would possibly embrace:
- Is there a possibility to scale back general plant strain with out decreasing manufacturing capability? Learn: Reduce Plant Pressure to Save Money and Energy.
- Do I want a bigger compressor, or a secondary backup compressor, to maintain up with durations of peak demand?
- Is it price investing in a smaller backup compressor to make use of during times of decrease demand?
- Would a variable pace drive (VSD) compressor save vitality and cash for my facility? Learn: Why Choose or Upgrade to a Variable Speed Drive Compressor?
- Do I want a sequencer to manage a number of compressors?
For instance, one buyer that we labored with ran a 100 HP compressor to assist their manufacturing for just one shift, however saved the air compressor in operation throughout the night hours to take care of some techniques (together with HVAC and hearth sprinklers). Based mostly on the information logging train, we decided that it made sense to put in a really small 5 HP compressor to run these techniques. The vitality saved by powering down the principle compressor when not in use for manufacturing greater than paid for the price of the smaller compressor inside the first yr.
Data Is Energy: Enhancing Air Compressor Efficiency
Relating to compressed air system efficiency, data is energy. The extra you recognize about how your system is behaving and the way tendencies are altering over time, the higher you may optimize your system.
Fluid-Aire Dynamics performs amperage information logging free of charge as a service to our valued clients and trade associates. If you need to schedule information logging in your compressed air system, give us a name. Our compressed air system engineers can run the examine, show you how to interpret the outcomes, and recommend enhancements that may enhance system efficiency, maximize the lifetime of your system and cut back your vitality payments.
Contact us to schedule compressed air system information logging.